Downing Street said people would be urged to start following the new rules from Monday evening and not wait for them to become law. The new measures will apply across the whole of England and no exception will be made for those who have been vaccinated. All of the UK is now under strict virus curbs, with Wales, Northern Ireland and most of Scotland also in lockdown.
Everyone will be asked to immediately stay at home and only leave for the following specific reasons:
- To go to work or provide voluntary or charitable services, if you cannot reasonably do so from home – this includes key workers and those in the construction industry.
- To shop for food and/or medicine for yourself or a vulnerable person.
- To provide care or help to a vulnerable person.
- To exercise – see below for specific rules.
- To seek medical care or an appointment or avoid injury, illness or risk of harm, including domestic abuse.
- To meet your support bubble or childcare bubble where necessary, but only if you are legally permitted to form one.
- To attend education or childcare if you are eligible.