However, the work in the two small toilets in the monks' accommodation has not been completed in the interest of the health and safety of the resident monks' due to the current Tier 4 restrictions and it will be done when the current restrictions are lifted hopefully in the near future.
The Building Control Officer has visited the site on 18 January 2021 for the final inspection of works and was satisfied with the works and will be issuing his certificate soon after the completion of all snagging items by the Contractor.The Contractor has now removed all his scaffolding and hoarding and have started cleaning the site and clearing his materials and equipment from site.
As you are aware the work continued without any disruption during this unprecedented period due to the Corona pandemic and we are very thankful to the Contractor and the Consultancy team for their untiring efforts, support and the cooperation to complete this major construction project within one year of commencement.
Finally, I am very grateful to all our devotees, supporters and well-wishers who very kindly and generously donated to the building fund and I wish to offer my sincere thanks to all of you for enabling us to bring this project to a very successful completion.
Also, at the moment we can't invite you to view the project but when the Covid-19 epidemic is under control, we will plan an opening ceremony and inform you.
Head of the Vihara
FINAL PROGRESS REPORT
20 JANUARY 2021
- Work Commenced on 20 January 2020
Work Completed on 18 January 2021
Building Control Officer visited the site for final inspection on 18 January 2021.
- New Extension - Ground floor and First floor - All work completed
3.1 Ventilation - All work completed. The system has been tested and working efficiently.
3.2 Heating – All work completed - Heating services connected to Main Hall, Sermon Hall, Shrine Room and Lobby with new radiators in the Main Hall, Lobby and Sermon Hall and the system is currently functioning well in the existing building and new extension.
3.3 Electrical – All work completed and tested and functioning well.
3.4 Plumbing and Drainage Services – All work completed and tested and functioning well.
3.5 Fire Alarm Installation – All work completed and tested.
- Roof Work
Main Hall Roof - All work completed including laying of the final felt roofing layer.
First Floor - All work including flat roof completed.
Dormer - All work completed with fixing four timber grilles and roof finishes.
- Roof Lantern – Main Hall – All work completed including two electrically operated windows.
- New Kitchen - All work completed.
Cooker, Fridge, Washing Machine and Dryer installed in the new kitchen with the new dish washer and heating cupboard.
The resident monks are currently using the kitchen and the washing machine/dryer.
A suitable small table with four chairs shall be purchased and to be placed in the middle of the kitchen for the use of the resident monks.
- First floor - Toilet Conversion to Gents Toilet. All work completed.
- Main Staircase and Basement Staircase - All work completed.
- Ground Floor Disabled Toilet - All work completed.
- Link to new kitchen from existing Kitchen. All work completed including vinyl floor sheeting in the floor.
- Refurbishment of Existing Kitchen - All work completed including new roof glazing. A built-in small sink with tap has been installed only to sprinkle flowers for offering by the devotees including a cupboard to keep flower vases.
- Sermon Hall – The following new items were completed.
Replaced the old ceiling tiles with new Armstrong ceiling tiles.
Removed all existing ceiling lighting system and replaced with dimmable LED flush ceiling lights distributed into 4 zones.
- Artefact Cupboard - As suggested by Ven Seelawimala an artefact cupboard was built into the opening in the previous entrance door to the kitchen in the Main Hall. The Contractor completed all the timber work, architrave, shelving and painting work. A specialist glass door manufacturer supplied and installed two lockable frameless plain toughened glass doors.
- Fire Risk Assessment Report - The fire engineer has prepared his initial fire risk assessment report for the whole building including the new extension. He shall recommend and install all the necessary fire extinguishers in the new extension and all other required items to comply with the fire regulations. The fire alarm installation is completed.
- Site Clearing work - All external scaffolding and hoarding have been removed and the Contractor has currently commenced removing his plant and equipment and excess materials from the site. The clearing and cleaning of work areas are in progress and the Contractor will be attending to snagging items in the next two weeks. After the completion of snagging items and any other items recommended by the Building Control Officer, the site will be fully cleared and vacated by the Contractor.
- General - The work commenced on 20 January 2020.
All contract work and additional work in the new extension, existing kitchen, Main Hall and Sermon Hall was completed on 18 January 2021.
However, due to the current Tier 4 COVID 19 restrictions, in the interest of the health and safety of the resident monks the refurbishment of the two toilets in the resident monks’ accommodation shall be carried out when the existing restrictions are lifted and the workers are able to work safely in this area complying with health and safety requirements. The sanitary fittings, floor and wall tiles are on site and shall be kept safely in the new basement storeroom (former boiler room).
The Building Control Officer visited the site on 18 January 2021 for the final inspection and awaiting his final certificate. He has advised to complete a few minor items which will be carried out by the Contractor when working on other snagging items.
The Contractor shall now be attending to the snagging items advised by myself during my visit to the site on 20 January 2021 and the items recommended by the Building Control Officer in the coming two weeks.
The Health and Safety File is currently being prepared by the Contractor in complying with the CDM regulations and the completed file will be handed over to the Contract Administrator before issuing the Certificate of Practical Completion (CPC) by the Contract Administrator.